Sunday, August 09, 2009

Recognize

Lately, I've been feeling almost as if I'm famous. TWICE in one week I have been recognized as a "Wray girl" by my looks and/or voice!
I was at church after working at the Triathlon. After the service, Leah ran into a girl she obviously hadn't seen in ages and so I went off to leave them to chat. While I was gone Leah noticed the girl she was chatting with (Leah had gone to school with her in PG) kept staring at me. After awhile I came back to their conversation as I was waiting for Leah to give me a ride home and the girl insisted that she knew me. Leah dissuaded her and told her that I grew up in Vancouver. The girl went on to ask what my last name was (I told her my married name) and finally asked if Shalene was my sister! She said she knew right away by my voice and how similar we look.
Now, I do see similarities between us "Wray girls", but not enough to understand how someone in a totally unrelated situation would make that guess! This friend of Shalenes was her friend a few years back in Vancouver and has since moved to Florida. We had never met. Crazy!
Again, the same thing happened when I was filling in at our church for the secretary who on holidays. A staff member figured out I was Alicia's sister by my voice over the phone.
I guess as we get older, we're starting to look more and more alike. The best story though is when my friend Lizann (met at Briercrest) was on her honeymoon in Mexico and Shalene was there vacationing. Lizann just knew she was my sister and went up to her and asked. Again, not having met her or probably not even seeing a picture of Shay (the days before Facebook! ;).

1 comment:

Chris and Lizann said...

haha!!! I made the blog!! Yup, it's true I looked at her and knew she was your sister. Small world...and you guys do look a lot more alike than you'd think.