Saturday, April 02, 2011

Zzzz...

Thankfully Naomi has been a good sleeper from early on. She has been sleeping through the night since she was three months old. The odd night Naomi will wake up and I often wonder how did I do this every night?! It was only a few months ago!
Quite a few of our friends and family members have had babies in the past few months and the most common complaint is....lack of sleep! Here are some interesting sleep facts-

A new baby typically results in 400–750 hours lost sleep for parents in the first year.

Seventeen hours of sustained wakefulness leads to a decrease in performance equivalent to a blood alcohol–level of 0.05%.

Anything less than five minutes to fall asleep at night means you're sleep deprived. The ideal is between 10 and 15 minutes, meaning you're still tired enough to sleep deeply, but not so exhausted you feel sleepy by day.

Experts say one of the most alluring sleep distractions is the 24–hour accessibility of the internet.

Diaries from the pre–electric–light–globe Victorian era show adults slept nine to 10 hours a night with periods of rest changing with the seasons in line with sunrise and sunsets. 

From "For The Love of Sleep" www.gro.co.uk


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Well I think I am above the 750 hours! And definitely sleep deprived - I can fall asleep in less then a minute I swear haha. Now I have two babies that wake multiple times a night :) Cecilia is already a better sleeper then Kiana though - so hoping Kiana catches on and Cecilia keeps it up!

Unknown said...

Well I am definitely in the 750hours plus. Haha. And must be sleep deprived as I can fall asleep in under a minute I swear haha. And now I have two babies that wake multiple times a night. Although, Cecilia is a better sleeper then Kiana so hoping Kiana catches on and Cecilia keeps it up!