Sunday, May 15, 2011

Baking

Since finding out Naomi is allergic to wheat and peanuts, I have been learning a new way to bake- gluten free. I have always liked a challenge in the kitchen, and this challenge has been harder than I thought. Not using wheat to bake isn't impossible, but there have been many fails in my test kitchen. It's always disappointing when you put time into finding a recipe and effort into making the treat, and it doesn't turn out. A friend who has celiac disease has shared some great recipes and the secret to gluten free baking- combining flours. You cannot substitute one flour for wheat, you must use a combination of starches and flours and add xanthan gum. Typically you need longer baking times and the texture of the final product is more crumbly, but otherwise delicious.
I made these cupcakes for our small group the other night when we took a week off Bible study to watch the Canucks play.

No comments: