A student at the school I work at was recently diagnosed with A.L.L. (Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia). He went from feeling "ill" one day to being air lifted to BC Childrens Hospital and put right into treatment. He is now on Day 33 of 1095 of treatment. He, Sam, is the son of the High School Principal and Kindergarten teacher.
As a school, we wanted to support Sam's family. The student council decided to have a head shaving event. My co-worker and I took the project over and set the fundraising goal at $3,000 where Rosie, my co-worker would shave her head as well as a boy in Grade 9 who had been growing his hair since Grade 6 and wanted to cut it when he graduated. As the days passed, more and more people signed up to either shave their heads or donate 8+ inches of their hair to Locks of Love.
This morning, over 45 staff, students, teachers and parents shaved or cut their hair to support Sam. It was a very emotional year end chapel. Sam was there watching with his mom via Skype in White Rock. We ended up raising over $10,100.00 for Sam's family and both Sam's sister decided last minute to shave their heads, much to their mothers surprise.
It was such an amazing event to be a part of, and I realize how lucky I am to work at such a caring and supportive workplace.
Here is a link to a newspaper article on the event and a few pictures I captured:
Sam via Skype
A student and Rosie
Sam's sister
The group
No comments:
Post a Comment